It is possible to find affordable life insurance with inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
How you will be rated will depend on a variety of factors when you are medically examined for a policy.
The good news is that in many instances you can be approved for a policy depending on the degree and severity of the disease.
What is Inflammatory Bowel Disease?
Inflammatory bowel disease is a medical condition which affects all or part of your digestive tract. The condition can be very debilitating and even life-threatening in some instances. Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD generally consists of 3 main medical conditions known as:
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Crohn’s Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory disease of the mucosa of the large bowel characterized by attacks of bloody diarrhea and periods of remission. Chronic continuous disease occurs in a minority of patients.
There are several types of Ulcerative Colitis which may be diagnosed and they include:
- Ulcerative Proctitis – affects the area closest to the rectum
- Proctosigmoiditis – involves the rectum and the lower end of the colon
- Left-sided Colitis – where inflammation extends from the rectum up and into the sigmoid and descending colon
- Pancolitis – can affect the entire colon
- Acute Severe Ulcerative Colitis – a rare form of colitis that affects the entire colon
Crohn’s disease is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the distal ileum and colon, but may also occur anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract from the mouth to the anus and perianal area. The distal small bowel (ileum) is most commonly affected.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is defined as abdominal pain associated with defecation or a change of bowel habit along with disordered defecation and the sensation of abdominal distension. There is no diagnostic test for this disorder
Other Inflammatory Bowel Diseases:
Two other related inflammatory bowel conditions can include Collagenous Colitis and Lymphocytic Colitis.
Symptoms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease can vary in the degree of their severity but can include:
- Fever and Fatigue
- Abdominal Pain and Cramping
- Reduce Appetite
- Unintended Weight Loss
- Blood in the Stool
How Do Life Insurance Companies Rate Inflammatory Bowel Disease?
Every life insurer will closely examine the extent and degree of your condition because of the potential long-term health conditions which are associated with the condition.
Some of the primary factors used in rating a person with this condition include the age at which you were diagnosed, your overall treatment history including the medications prescribed and whether any surgery was performed.
The insurer will also need to know whether the condition is stable and whether you are experiencing any form of ongoing symptoms.
If you have had surgery recently, the insurer may wish to wait anywhere from 6 – 12 months before they assess you for a policy. Those who have had multiple surgeries or who have been unsuccessful in the medical management of their condition may be assessed more stringently or declined.
Rating Factors for Inflammatory Bowel Disease Used By Life Insurers
The rating factors specifically used by an insurer to evaluate your condition can include:
- Date of initial diagnosis and date of most recent episode
- Total number of episodes or “flares” since diagnosis
- Number of episodes or “flares” in past 6 months
- Number of episodes or “flares” in past 2 years and longest duration of symptoms (quantify in days, weeks, months) along with average duration (quantify in days, weeks, months)
- The specific condition(s) and/or symptoms that you have been diagnosed with
- Has the proposed insured ever been hospitalized for the condition? If yes, please provide date(s)
- Has surgery been performed or recommended? If yes, when was the surgery completed/ planned?
- What, if any, medications are taken specifically during flare-ups of symptoms, but not routinely taken
- Results of colonoscopy or other diagnostic tests
- Medications being taken for this condition
Finding Affordable Life Insurance With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
You can find affordable life insurance approval with inflammatory bowel disease by going through an independent insurance agent such as you can find here at Abrams Insurance Solutions.
We have access to over 70 life insurance companies so we know which ones are the best life insurance companies and which are more liberal when it comes to issuing a policy for someone with inflammatory bowel disease and other health related conditions.
Why You Should Use Abrams Insurance Solutions For Your Life Insurance
We work with an underwriting advisor who is familiar with how each life insurance company prices a policy if you have inflammatory bowel disease. After evaluating the specifics of your condition, we will use the knowledge of our underwriting team to apply with the insurance company that is most likely to approve you with the lowest rate on your policy.
There is no charge for this service and our goal is to find you the best and lowest cost life insurance policy if you have inflammatory bowel disease or any other medical condition.
If you have any questions, concerns or need advice during the process of finding life insurance approval with inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s Disease, or any other health related conditions, then call us at 858-703-6178 today because we can help.