Accidental Death Insurance is a low-cost alternative to life insurance. It is a way for people who might otherwise be declined or worry about being declined for traditional life insurance. Keep in mind there are a handful of life insurance policies which will approve anyone.
Accidental death insurance (sometimes referred to as accidental death and dismemberment) policies are also a very cost effective means to add additional family financial protection along with a traditional life insurance policy. The shorthand for this type of policy is AD&D, AD or ADB insurance. Keep in mind that many accidental death policies do not provide benefits for dismemberment. It’ll depend on your exact policy.
Accidental death insurance provides an inexpensive and valuable safety net for your family. Not only will you be insured from death as a result of an accident, but many policies also extend coverage to your spouse and children.
The biggest benefit of accidental death insurance is that it is easy to obtain and very affordable.
Accidental Death Insurance Benefits
If you have been declined or worry about rejection for life insurance, then consider an accidental death insurance policy.
Easy Application and Guaranteed Approval
Accidental life insurance is easy to obtain. Many companies can offer same day approval or approval in as little as 48 hours, although not all companies offer automatic approval.
No Medical Exam
Another benefit of accidental life insurance is that there is no medical exam. Many companies will not even ask any health or occupation questions. This can vary from company to company.
Some companies do ask a few health questions, and some will also ask you about your occupation. Yet there are some companies who ask next to no questions. Your best bet is to speak with an independent life insurance agent who is not bound to any one company.
Accidental Death Insurance is Inexpensive
You will be surprised at how inexpensive accidental death insurance is. For just pennies a day, you can get coverage ranging from $50,000 to as high as $500,000. Most insurance companies also guarantee that premiums will never increase.
Unlike life insurance, the cost of this insurance depends on how much you buy, per $1,000 of coverage, and not on your health.
If you want to see how inexpensive this insurance is, below are various snapshot samples of what you might pay. We have these samples covered for both men and women, of varying ages, and for different amounts of coverage.
Perhaps you already have a life insurance policy and need more coverage, but can’t afford an additional traditional life insurance policy. You should consider accidental death insurance as an alternative because it costs a lot less and allows you to get the extra financial protection you want.
Comes with Riders and Additional Coverage
Most accidental death policies offer coverage your entire family. You can also receive additional death benefits above and beyond the face value if you die in an auto accident or public conveyance.
Insurance riders are also available to enhance your protection such as a ROP Rider (Return of Premium), Waiver of Premium Rider, Total Disability Rider, Disability Income Rider, or Family Accidental Death Rider.
Top 5 Accidental Death Insurance Companies
We have compiled a breakdown of the top 5 insurers which offer accidental life insurance including:
- Mutual of Omaha
Below, we break down the accidental death insurance policy features and available riders for each company.
Assurity Life Acci-Flex Accidental Death Benefit Insurance
Assurity’s ADB policy provides coverage if you die as a result of an accident. Acci -Flex protects you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on or off the job.
The Assurity policy is very easy to apply for. Only 1 health question and no medical exam. The premiums are level and guaranteed renewable to age 75.
One of the most impressive features of the accidental death insurance offered by Assurity Life is their rapid and simplified manner of application. When you apply through an e-application (completed with a 10 minute phone call), your application (as long as you are qualified) will be approved usually the same day. Paper applications will be turned around in 2 days.
The various coverage benefits and options for Accidental life insurance under Assurity include:
- Issue Ages – 18 – 60
- Issue Amounts – $50,000 – $350,000
- Premiums – level and guaranteed renewable to age 75
- Easy to apply for – only one health question and no medical exam
The Assurity ADB policy also allows you to choose from a variety of additional coverage riders. These require an additional premium and include:
- Accidental Disability Income Rider – This rider covers accidents only and provides a monthly benefit if you become totally disabled as result of the accident. ADR benefits begin after 90 days of total disability and continue for up to two years while you are totally disabled.
- Return of Premium Rider – Allows you to have a percentage as high as 100% of your premiums refunded when the policy expires
Gerber Life Accident Protection Plan
The Gerber Life Accident Protection Plan provides accidental death and dismemberment coverage every day – 24 hours a day.
The main benefits of this coverage include:
- Guaranteed Approval which does NOT require either a medical exam or any health questions
- Rates are “Guaranteed” to never increase
- Benefits begin the first day and never decrease
- Premiums depend on amount of coverage and NOT the age of the insured
- Qualify regardless of health or occupation
- No Waiting Period – benefits are available upon receipt of the first payment
Additional Features of Gerber Life Accident Protection Plan
The face amounts of coverage under this plan range from $50,000 up to $250,000*. Applicants must be from 18 – 69* years of age to be eligible.
*Maximum coverage limit and age may vary by state.
Coverage for Your Family
Your spouse and dependent children are also eligible for coverage. Your spouse can receive up to 100% in coverage while each child (up to age 17) is also eligible to receive up to $25,000 in coverage.
Forester’s Prepared Accidental Death Term Life Insurance
The Forester’s Prepared Accidental Death plan is a simple, inexpensive manner to protect your family financially should you die from an accidental death.
The accidental death policy offered by Forester’s is a Simplified Issue policy which means you can apply just by responding to a few health/lifestyle questions with no medical requirements. (Certain exclusions apply.)
Their policies come with “guaranteed premiums” which means the amount you pay is guaranteed to remain the same until the policy expires. Premium rates vary by age and by gender.
Features of Forester’s Prepared AD Policy
- You can apply from age 18 – 60 years of age (age last birthday)
- Policy coverage amounts range from $50,000 – $300,000
- Policy expires when you reach age 75
- There are a few health and lifestyle questions on the application. Contact us to make sure you will qualify.
Additional Riders Available
For a small extra premium, you also have the option of selecting any or all of 3 riders including:
• Disability Income Rider (DIR) – Provides a monthly benefit for up to 2 years for 2 separate and independent injuries should the insured become totally disabled as a result of an accident only. Can receive the lowest of either $2,000 or 60% per month of the insured’s income at the time of application. Issues age is from 18 – 60. A 90 day waiting period will apply from the date of total disability.
• Waiver of Premium Rider – Will waive the total premiums payable for the duration of the policy due to accidents only and which results in the person becoming totally disabled for a period of at least 6 months (does not apply to illness). Issue age is from ages 18 – 55 years. Rider will expire at age 65.
• Return of Premium Rider (ROP) – Will return up to 100% of premiums paid at expiration of the policy and depending on the issue age and at age 75
Fidelity Accidental Death Benefit (ADB) Policy
The Fidelity ADB policy will provide coverage as a result of death which occurs within 90 days due to an accident.
The ADB policy is a “Guaranteed Issue” policy which means that there are no medical questions. Most applications receive approval within 24 hours.
The policy will pay full benefits until age 70, after which benefits decrease by 50%. They will remain at this level until age 80 when the policy will expire.
You also have additional coverage for “Auto Safety” and “Travel Accident” benefits.
Auto Safety Benefits – will provide an additional 10% of coverage should death occur while the insured was operating or riding as a passenger. Insured must be wearing a “properly fastened, and originally factory installed seat belt” when the death occurs.
Travel Accident Benefits – Will pay an additional 100% for any accident where the insured dies while a passenger on a public conveyance operated by a common carrier to transport for hire.
Fidelity’s ADB policy is available from ages 20 – 59 years of age. Coverage limits range from $50,000 – $250,000.
Additional coverage options are available through riders for an extra premium. The riders available include:
- Return of Premium – Will allow the insured to receive a percentage of their premiums back when the policy rider expires.
- Inflation Rider – Will automatically increase the policy death benefits. Will automatically increase benefits by 5% of the initial policy between policy years 2-6 and will remain level after that.
- Family Accidental Death Benefit Rider – Can provide additional benefits for both your spouse and/or dependent children.
Additional Fidelity ADB Benefits
Spouse and Dependent Children Benefit – Will provide additional benefits to the beneficiary due to the accidental death of an insured spouse and children.
Spouse Double Tragedy – Should both the spouse and insured die because of an accident within the same 24 hour period, the spouse coverage will increase to 100% of the base benefit.
College Fund Benefit – Will provide an additional 10 % of the base policy benefit for each child between ages 15 -22 years of age.
Mutual of Omaha Guaranteed Advantage Accidental Death Insurance
The Guaranteed Advantage Accidental Death Insurance which Mutual of Omaha offers is guaranteed coverage. This means they cannot turn you down for a policy when you apply. This policy is also a form of simplified issue which means:
- No Medical Exam
- No Medical Questions
- You will not have to provide information about your occupation
You are eligible to apply for this policy if you are 18 – 70 years of age. Accidental death benefit coverage is from $50,000 – $500,000.
- 24 hour all accident coverage
- With election of family coverage, spouse coverage is 100% of the coverage amount while coverage for children is 20%
- Common carrier benefits will pay double the accidental death benefit if death occurs while riding as a fare-paying passenger on a common carrier such as a boat, bus or airplane
- Auto/Pedestrian benefit pays an additional 25% of accidental death benefit if insured is killed while driving or riding in a private automobile or if struck by an automobile on a public street or highway
Family Coverage Options
Your spouse is eligible for coverage if he/she is age 18-70 and may remain on policy until age 80
You can also extend coverage to unmarried dependent children under age 19 or until age 23 (if fully time student at an accredited college or university).
Return of Premium Rider
For a small additional premium, you can also buy a Return of Premium (ROP) rider (ages 18-50) which allows you to receive a percentage of any premiums you have paid at time of cancellation
Sample Accidental Death Insurance Premiums
We mentioned before premiums are low. Lower than your average life insurance.
Below are a variety of coverage amounts for different ages, men, and women. We picked two of the most popular AD&D benefit amounts for these sample rates.
25 Year Old Male – $100,000 Accidental Death Coverage
25 Year Old Female – $100,000 Accidental Death Coverage
25 Year Old Male – $250,000 Accidental Death Coverage
25 Year Old Female – $250,000 Accidental Death Coverage
50 Year Old Male – $100,000 Accidental Death Coverage
50 Year Old Female – $100,000 Accidental Death Coverage
50 Year Old Male – $250,000 Accidental Death Coverage
50 Year Old Female – $250,000 Accidental Death Coverage
Abrams Insurance Solutions Offers Low-Cost Accidental Death Insurance
When shopping for Accidental Death Insurance, you always want to use an independent life insurance agent like the ones here at Abrams Insurance Solutions.
Our agents can access over 70 of the best-rated life insurers in the industry. If you are afraid you might be declined for life insurance or companies rejected past applications, then accidental death insurance can provide the coverage your family needs.
We understand that it can be challenging to find the right product and at an affordable price. We can help you find the perfect accidental death insurance coverage because we know all the coverage options and prices which can vary from company to company.
The independent agents at Abrams Insurance Solutions can perform the comparison shopping for you to save you time and money.
We won’t stop shopping the market for you until we find you the best policy and the lowest rates.
Do you have any questions about Accidental Death Insurance that we didn’t answer? Give us a call at (888) 905-0333, and we will find you the information right away.